Most forms of mouth sores, particularly those in the stage of cold/canker sores, get cured on their own within a few days. However, if the boil or sore inside the mouth of your child does not go away even after a couple of weeks, getting in touch with a reliable oral treatment clinic in Kolkata is of the essence. And that's precisely where the services of Confidental Care comes into the picture.
Are Mouth Sores Contagious?
First, let us bust a common myth about mouth sores. Only the sores occurring due to herpes simplex are contagious - and our pediatric dental consultants recommend the usage of separate toothbrushes and other mouth-cleaning supplies for the affected persons. However, a vast majority of the kids' canker sores that are treated at our Kolkata clinic are NOT contagious at all.
Principal Reasons For The Formation Of Mouth Sores
There can be multiple reasons for the appearance of acutely painful mouth sores/blisters - on the gums, lips, cheeks, and/or any other area in the roof/floor of the mouth. In-house pediatric dentists at Confidental Care specialize in the treatment of mouth sores of the following types:
- Mouth ulcers resulting from burns.
- Sores caused by gum and dental infections.
- Cuts & blisters caused by accidental bites on the lips or tongue.
- Sores that form due to continued usage of oral dentures or crowns that do not fit properly. Unless you avail the services of one of the best dental treatment clinics in Kolkata, this will always be a risk.
Other Common Mouth Sore Causes
- Hormonal imbalances.
- Absence of requisite amounts of Vitamin B12 and folate in the daily diets.
- Over-reliance on strong OTC antibiotics.
- Irregular bowel syndromes.
- Using hard-bristled toothbrushes (your child might also have the habit of applying too much force while brushing).
- Accumulation of bacterial tartar, or other types of fungal infection.
- As a side effect of dental transplants.
Pediatric dentists from India and abroad agree that as the condition of the overall immune system of kids go down, risks of mouth sores and ulcers making an unwelcome appearance increase.
Note of caution: Certain types of canker sores (albeit rare) can be malignant, and if left untreated, lead to mouth cancer. We strongly advise parents to bring their children to our oral treatment hospital in Kolkata as soon as such sores are detected in the latter's mouth. There is no point in taking a chance with an issue that can be very serious indeed.
Can You Prevent The Occurrence Of Mouth Sores?
Well, there is no foolproof way to rule out the possibility of mouth sores. The specialists at our dental care clinic in Kolkata, however, suggest the following to minimize the chances of your son/daughter falling prey to these sores, blisters and mouth ulcers:
- Using soft toothbrushes for cleaning the teeth (twice everyday).
- Avoiding food that are too hot and/or too spicy.
Note: Experienced pediatric dentists in Kolkata can draw up a list of food items that can augment the chances of mouth ulcers. Contact a specialist, and follow the prescribed dietary advice.
Also, it is advisable to not expose the lips to strong, direct sunlight for long. Application of a good-quality mouth protection cream (with SPF 15) can minimize the chances of lips getting parched.
Mouth Sores Treatment At Confidental Care
For holistic and lasting treatment of mouth sores, our pediatric oral care experts recommend the following methods to get rid of these:
- Application Of Antibacterial Mouthwashes - For kids suffering from mouth sores due to unhealthy bacterial development, chlorhexidine gluconate is mostly recommended. You will be advised to make sure that the mouthwash is applied AFTER your child brushes his/her teeth (twice daily). There is no reason to worry if a brown/dark brown stain appears after the chlorhexidine gluconate mouthwash is applied. Such stains are temporary, and disappear as soon as the mouth sores are gone and the treatment is stopped.
- Corticosteroid Treatment - This method is generally suitable for children under the age of 14. If the reports of oral x-rays and scans serious inflammations due to the sores, corticosteroids are prescribed. This method is particularly effective for easing the pain emanating from the mouth sores/ulcers - and the affected area gets healed relatively quickly too.
If your child is less than 2 years of age and (s)he has mouth sores, antibacterial mouthwashes will never be prescribed for him/her.
Painkillers with benzydamine are also acknowledged by leading pediatric dental consultants in India as useful medications to remove the discomforts associated with mouth sores. Lozenges and gels are often recommended by us too.
Presence of mouth sores can make even simple tasks like brushing and flossing really painful. Save your child from such troubles, book an appointment at Confidental, and get rid of these sores...within days!