It's an absolute myth that only people of advanced years require oral dentures. Dentures come in handy for replacing/covering up missing tooth and/or misaligned teeth for kids as well. At our dental care clinic in Kolkata, we set up oral dentures to restore damaged mouth tissues too. In most cases, using dentures at an early stage reduces the necessity of complicated dental surgeries in future.
What Causes Plaque Formation In The Teeth?
Plaque accumulates on the teeth owing to a number of apparently innocuous causes. According to our pediatric dental experts, plaque formation is a direct result of:
- Intake of meals and improper/inadequate brushing afterwards.
- Flow of saliva.
- Damages in the roots of tooth.
- Problems in the bones supporting the gums (diagnosed through dental x-rays).
- Sudden changes/imbalances in the mouth temperature and/or pH level.
If you are not vigilant enough about your child's oral hygiene, the plaque that accumulates daily can become tough, painful tartars.
What Types Of Foods Quicken The Accumulation Of Dental Plaque?
This is a common query of many of the parents who book appointments at our Kolkata dental clinic. Our oral health care consultants highlight the following foods (if taken in excess) which can speed up the rate of plaque formation:
- Soft, fizzy drinks.
- Candies and chocolates.
In general, addiction to any form of sugary/starchy food can lead to gradual accumulation of dental plaque. These foods cause the formation of tooth bacteria (provided, of course, brushing & dental flossing is not done properly) - and the acid generated can lead to the formation of tartar.
Risks Associated With Dental Plaque
Practitioners from leading dental hospitals across India have highlighted several mild to serious oral diseases that can crop up, if dental plaque is neglected for a fairly long time. Apart from the formation of toughened tooth tartar, sustained presence of plaque coating can also lead to:
- Gingivitis and periodontal diseases (including swollen and bleeding gums).
- Loss of tooth.
- Irreversible damages to the tooth enamel, necessitating elaborate dental restorations.
- General irritations in and around the gum area.
How Is Dental Plaque Treated/Removed At Confidental?
Removal of regularly formed dental plaque is a fairly straightforward procedure, and does not require (except for very advanced cases) any oral surgical treatment. During the consultation sessions organized at our dental hospital in Kolkata, parents are advised about the following:
- Keeping their child away from having food that have excessive sugar or starch content.
- Benefits of using fluoride toothpastes.
- The need for using soft-bristled toothbrushes to clean the teeth after every meal (i.e., at least twice daily). The points where teeth are attached to the gums should never retain food particles.
- Need for thorough dental flossing everyday.
In addition, our in-house pediatric dental experts also advise the insertion of dental sealants in certain cases. These sealants prevent the formation of plaque and bacteria in the space between the teeth.
To make sure that your child does not fall prey to any plaque-related problems, bring him/her for regular monthly checkups at Confidental - voted to be among the top dental treatment centers in India. Book an appointment online, and protect the kid's oral health...always.